Fast Food



I never think to photograph what I eat for lunch or supper and often the last minute skirmish leaves me unable to do anything but sit down and eat. Finley has a habit of breaking off any crust to check it's ok, rendering anything that started with finesse rather more of a crumpled shirt. When I am at home alone for lunch I tend to wander into the kitchen at intervals to peel a few carrots, eat a teaspoon of nut butter or boil an egg.

I happened to look out of the kitchen window the other day as I was standing with a bag of leaves shoving handfuls of rocket and spinach into my mouth and ruminating. A woman was staring in at me slack jawed, her toddler straining at her hand, as though she had caught me with a pint of vodka and tonic for breakfast (of course I would only have vodka and sparkling water for breakfast, tonic is reprehensible). I gave her a cheery wave with a few large leaves still struggling to complete the journey into my mouth and she moved on hastily, not sure if she had just seen a human/sheep cross breed.

I thought to myself that it was probably time to take stock of my solo eating habits and stop grazing quite so much. So I'm going to try and make time for lunch and photograph it when it looks good and tastes great. Today's offering is courgette frittata and takes about 10 minutes from start to finish.

I give you rough guidelines because this kind of cooking is for improvisation and personalisation. This feeds one for lunch or two for a starter with some extra leaves.



2 medium organic eggs
1 medium courgette
2 pieces of artichoke heart in oil
big handful of dark green leaves
salted capers or capers in cider vinegar
pepper

put the grill on high and set a small heavy based frying pan over a medium heat.

Break the eggs into a bowl and whisk well with a fork.

Shave long strips off the courgette with a vegetable peeler until you get to the seeds. Save the last part of the courgette for stock - it has no place here. Chop the artichoke hearts and leaves roughly and add all the veg to the eggs in the bowl. Toss in a few capers and grind in some pepper. Mix a little.

Oil the pan or throw in a knob of butter and then scrape in the egg mixture. Cook for a couple of minutes to seal the bottom and then place the pan under the grill to fluff up and brown a little. The frittata is cooked after a few minutes when it has puffed, become tinged with gold and doesn't ooze raw egg when you tilt the pan a little.

Invert onto a plate and slice into quarters - great with mayonnaise.